Modern era
Kyuchuk Parizh
"Little Paris" — the brickworks, the refugees and the Concrete Bridge
South of the railway line the quarter grew around Pavel Kalpakchiev's 1896 brickworks, then took in thousands of Thracian refugees in the 1920s. The name is both a tease and a longing — working-class Plovdiv's "Little Paris", linked to the centre only in 1928 by the Concrete Bridge.
Why this quarter matters
Kyuchuk Parizh is the textbook of working-class Plovdiv: a quarter born of a brickworks, raised by the refugee wave after 1919, and linked to the centre only in 1928. Its name — "Little Paris" — is both self-irony and self-confidence; both are alive today.
For the visitor
- What to see
- The station, the Rhodope overpass with its railyard view and Our Lady of Lourdes.
- How long
- About an hour — ideal on a train arrival or departure.
- When to come
- Any time; Sunday morning around the church is liveliest.
- Food nearby
- Neighbourhood snack bars along Makedonia street; for restaurants, cross to the centre.
Visit with respect: A workers' residential quarter with no tourist stage — visit as a guest, not as if in a museum.
Where the name comes from
From Turkish küçük — "small": Kyuchuk Parizh means "Little Paris"; in local speech it has shrunk to "Kyuchuka".
Getting there
From the Central Station head south via the underpass or the Rhodope overpass; most Southern-district bus lines pass through here.
Quarter timeline
-
1896
Kalpakchiev's brickworks
Pavel Kalpakchiev (b. 1863, Etropole) builds a brick-and-tile factory on 477 decares south of the railway — the nucleus of the future quarter.
-
1905
The Hristo Botev chitalishte
The quarter founds its community cultural house — its first public institution.
-
1924
The refugee quarter
First planning begins; after the Treaty of Neuilly thousands of Bulgarians from Aegean Thrace settle here — about 4,763 arrive in Plovdiv from Western Thrace alone.
-
1927
The Lead Tower
Ivan Neykov raises the "Lead Tower" — then the tallest structure in Plovdiv and the quarter's landmark until its demolition in 2002.
-
1928
The earthquake and the Concrete Bridge
The Chirpan earthquake batters the houses; the same year the Concrete Bridge over the railway finally ties Kyuchuka to the centre.
-
1995
The Southern district
The quarter settles into today's Southern district boundaries — between the railway and the Ring Road.
People, communities and institutions
-
People
Pavel Kalpakchiev
-
Community
The Thracian refugees
-
Institution
The Hristo Botev chitalishte
-
Industry
The brick industry