4 min read
Revival Plovdiv: When Homes, Schools and Churches Changed the City
Behind the painted facades was a struggle over language, education and public presence—a change that began in private homes and reached the schoolroom and church altar.
Chapter 01
A Christmas When the Language Changed
At Christmas in 1859, the liturgy in the Church of the Holy Mother of God was celebrated in Bulgarian. On 10 January 1860 Bishop Paisiy again used Bulgarian and publicly announced that his congregation renounced the authority of the Greek patriarch. The change was not visible on the facade—it was first heard in the words filling the church.
That moment brings the major themes of Revival Plovdiv into one scene. Language no longer belonged only inside the home; it entered public worship. The community did not wait for a new state before building institutions of its own. School, church and representative house became different settings for the same effort: for the city's Bulgarians to be educated, heard and publicly recognizable.
Church, language and community
Chapter 02
A Merchant City Climbs the Slopes
During the nineteenth century, wealthy merchants turned the Old Town into a stage for new civic confidence. Symmetrical facades with bay windows, carved ceilings, painted walls and inner courtyards with gardens and fountains appeared across Nebet, Dzhambaz and Taksim Tepe. Multi-storey houses stepped down the steep ground, making the constraint of the slope part of their form.
The scale of individual buildings reveals the scale of that ascent. Kuyumdzhioglu House, built in 1847 and now the Ethnographic Museum, covers roughly 570 square metres and has 130 windows; Hindliyan House dates from 1835. These were homes, but also places for receiving guests, conducting business and presenting a family. Private prosperity began shaping the public image of the whole city.
Homes of the merchant city
Chapter 03
One House and One Traveller
Lamartine House was built around 1830 as a representative example of Plovdiv's symmetrical Revival architecture. Only three years later, the French poet Alphonse de Lamartine stayed there during his journey to the East. The encounter was brief, yet it connected the merchant city on the slopes with a much wider world of travel and literature.
The building now carries its guest's name and serves as a house-museum. That later purpose changes how it is seen: a private home becomes a public place, and one stay becomes part of its identity. Behind the famous name, however, remains the house itself—its plan, facade and rooms produced by Plovdiv's urban culture around 1830.
Lamartine House up close
Chapter 04
1836: Bulgarian Enters the Schoolroom
In 1836, the first Bulgarian school in the city opened in Plovdiv. The event belonged to the educational awakening of the National Revival and placed Bulgarian inside a space designed for systematic learning. Children could now encounter it not only within family and church community, but in an institution created to pass knowledge between generations.
The school made reading and teaching in Bulgarian part of organized urban life. Over the following decades education and the struggle for an independent church reinforced one another: one created a place in which to learn the language, while the other demanded that the same language be heard publicly in worship.
From cell school to city classroom
Chapter 05
The Church Becomes a Public Forum
The present Church of the Holy Mother of God was raised in 1844 as a large three-aisled pseudo-basilica. The Chalakov brothers contributed to its construction, craftsmen came from Bratsigovo, and masters of the Debar school carved the iconostasis. In 1881 architect Josef Schnitter added the three-storey domed belfry at the western entrance.
Between those architectural dates, the church became a place of political and communal action. After the Bulgarian services of 1859–1860, Bishop Paisiy convened annual Church-and-People councils until the Bulgarian Exarchate was recognized in 1870. The building did not merely shelter change. Its altar, courtyard and assembled congregation gave a demand about language a visible public form.
Chapter 06
From Private Home to Shared Memory
An archive image from February 1972 shows Lamartine House during restoration. It is a reminder that Revival Plovdiv did not reach the present untouched. Timber ceilings, painted walls and steep facades require decisions, labour and new purposes if they are to remain part of a living city.
Today the Old Town architectural and historical reserve covers roughly 35 hectares and brings together houses, churches and cultural venues from different eras. The Revival layer is the most visible, but its meaning is not merely stylistic. It preserves a moment when family wealth became urban architecture, education became an institution and spoken language became a public demand. The beautiful facades are the surviving form of a much deeper social change.
Architecture under conservation
Continue with another story
4 min read
Old Plovdiv as Project: Restoration, Administration and Memory
In 1969, Plovdiv created a dedicated administration for the Old Town, turning the care of Revival houses from isolated repairs into long-term civic work.
4 min read
Plovdiv on Canvas: How the Paintings Came Home
A Czech teacher painted the market, Plovdiv-born Tsanko Lavrenov made the Old Town a subject, and Revival houses gave Zlatyu Boyadzhiev's canvases a home. The city became both image and gallery.
4 min read
Ottoman Filibe: A City of Worship, Water and Shared Time
Between Dzhumaya Mosque's nine domes, a double bath, a dervish lodge and the tower on Sahat Tepe, an urban world emerges rather than a list of monuments.